1815 Green Frame House
George Washington Green built this frame house in Monroe Township in 1815. The house stood on a hill overlooking the Raccoon Indian village and was close to the current Croton Road. The timbers on the house were hand-hewn and pegged. The siding was made of white oak trees from the surrounding area. The home collapsed during a storm in 1945.
214 North Main Street
This farmhouse was built around 1868. William "Uncle Billy" Ashbrook and his wife Lucy Helen Pratt raised their six children at this home. There were 4 sons and 2 daughters. The youngest son, William A. Ashbrook, was born in 1867. He served as an United States Congressman from Ohio for many years.
190 North Main Street
Former US Congressman William A. Ashbrook had this home built in 1898. His son, US Congressman John Ashbrook, was raised here with his four siblings.
Cornell School is located at 453 South Main Street in Johnstown, Ohio on Johnstown-Monroe School District property.
The one-room schoolhouse was originally built in 1886 and resided on farm land near Alexandria, Ohio. It was used as a school for the surrounding farm families until 1923.
The Dorsey Theatre opened its doors on June 22, 1926. The building also housed a Barber Shop and Dr. Morgan’s office. Although no longer a movie theatre, the building is still standing at the corner of South Main Street and East Pratt Street. It currently houses Posty's Drive Thru, a hair salon and an accountant's office.
The historic Johnstown, Ohio jail located at 66 West Pratt St was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#03000274)on April 18 2003. Click here to read more about this structure.
Johnstown Train Depot
On July 4, 1880 the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad (T. and O.C.) train began traveling and stopping through Johnstown. At that time 4 trains traveled through the village each day and the depot was often busy with passengers.
April 27, 1935 was the day that the last passenger service traveled through the Johnstown train station. However, the railroad continued to use the Johnstown tracks primarily for freight and coal until it was abandoned in 1972. In February 1976 the railroad was legally abandoned and in 1977 the clearing of ties and rails began. The railroad bed is now part of the T. J. Evans Bike Path.
Linnwood Farm - 4986 Caswell Road, Johnstown, OH
The National Register of Historic Places (#79001878)placed this farm on their list in 1979. It was designated a well-preserved nineteenth-century Ohio farm of Gothic Revival architecture. Its name came from the dozens of Linnwood trees which once lined the road, planted to attract bees to a nearby orchard. The site includes the two story farmhouse, barn, corn crib and two sheds.
The structures were built by Joel Philbrick, a new Hampshire native who settled in Licking County in 1817. The two story frame house was completed about 1855 in the Gothic Revival style, and has a steep roof, Gothic-arched porch, pointed windows and "Gingerbread" bargeboards. The bank -style barn, which stands directly behind the house, is believed to have been completed at the same time. Both are pictured in the 1875 Combination Atlas Map of Licking County, Ohio.
Mary E. Babcock LIbrary - 320 North Main Street
This library is a branch of the Licking County Library System. In 1995, Mary E. Babcock provided funding to purchase land to construct this new facility. Many dedicated community members, staff and volunteers worked for nearly 10 years to find an appropriate location to build a new library. It opened in early 2006.
Monroe Town House & Opera House - 1 South Main Street
This building is on the National Register of Historic Buildings (#81000446). On January 1, 1885 it was dedicated “forever” to the village. It was considered the civic center of the Village. Currently, the Johnstown Historical Society has a museum and offices on the first floor. The Town Hall/Opera House is a two story building. The raised stage of the Opera House once hosted lectures, plays, musical revivals, political rallies, the unforgettable medicine shows and vaudeville acts, as well as high school graduation ceremonies. Today it is still used for plays and musical events.
Rusler Home (1847 - 1919) 122 North Main Street
This home was built by Henry B. Rusler, a prominent businessman. He was a well known pump manufacturer who sold his products all over the US. In 1888 he was turning out 2000 pumps a year. Rusler's invention was called the Comet Sprayer, a lawn and garden force pump and fruit tree sprayer. He served as the mayor of Johnstown.
Buxton-Upham House (West Coshocton - Demolished 2009)
This stately Victorian Gothic Revival style home once stood across from the Town Square at 18 West Coshocton Street. Several Buxton family members who lived at this residence were: Horton Buxton, Sr., Horton Buxton, Jr., Norman G. Buxton and his sister Maude Buxton Upham and her husband George B. Upham. When Mr. Upham died in 1962 the home was given to his caretakers Fred and Fay Neely.
The oldest part of this house was built “circa 1830”. The Italianate tower and rear section were built onto the house in 1868. The Buxtons named their home “The Elms” because of the many elm trees located on the property. Due to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1950’s all the trees were removed. Sadly, the Buxton-Upham House was demolished on May 18, 2009. Today it is a BellStores’ gas station and convenience store.