The Bigelow Cemetery is sometimes referred to as the "Old Burying Ground". It is located in the southwest corner of the city at 180 W. Maple Street. There is a parking lot at the American Legion Post 254 building adjacent to the cemetery.
The cemetery became the final resting place for more than 300 early residents and also the veterans of three wars (Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and the Civil War). Their grave markers, though weathered by the seasons, serve as a reminder of their great contributions to the community and the nation.
Below are images of the historic marker that was erected at Bigelow Cemetery in 2003 by the Johnstown Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society.
Inscription Side A: Bigelow Cemetery
In 1810, Dr. Oliver Bigelow from Cayuga County, New York, purchased a 4,000-acre tract of land in Monroe Township from John Brown of Boone County, Kentucky, for the sum of $10,000. President John Adams had deeded the land to Brown for military service during the American Revolution. Dr. Bigelow planned to build a town, and after mapping streets, alleys, the town square, and a cemetery, named the village Johnstown. Bigelow was the community's first medical doctor and became the town's mayor. He died on November 5, 1818, and was buried in the Johnstown Cemetery. Located in the southwest corner of the village, the cemetery became the final resting place for more than 300 early residents and the veterans of three wars. Their grave markers, though weathered by the seasons, serve as a reminder of their great contributions to the community and the nation.
Inscription Side B: Bigelow Cemetery War Veterans:
Revolutionary War: Elijah Adams, Oliver Bigelow M.D., Benjamin DeWolf, Caleb Hill, Abel Jewett, John Martin, Thomas Perkins, Moses Scovell Esq., and Peter Stevens
War of 1812: David Buxton, S. D. Grove and Emanuel Hoover
Civil War: J. O. Adams, L. S. Bell, A.E. Cady, Samuel A. DeWolf, John Cummins, Joseph Evans, Noah Green, Samuel Martindale, and Israel Scovell.